Saturday, November 17, 2007

Do you Believe It?

Jesus Paid it All started playing when I opened my blog this morning. "Do you Believe it?" the song leader asks in between chorus and verse. That really got my attention.
I hear the Savior say
Thy strength indeed is small
Child of weakness....watch and pray
Find in me....thine all in all
What a sigh of relief
But wait, what is this that I'm reading in My Utmost for today:
'It is through the discipline of obedience that I get to the place where Abraham was and I see who God is. God will never be real to me until I come face to face with Him in Jesus Christ. Then I will know and can boldly proclaim, "In all the world, my God, there is none but Thee, there is none but Thee."
If it is up to my obedience then I think I shall always be in the desert. It is only by His grace that I have any vision of God at all.
While Oswald Chamber's devotion does spur me on to right actions, I find in it all too often that the results that he talks about can only happen if I do something right and not so much on God working in me. Is it God + me or is it all God?

3 comments:

Melissa said...

It is Christ which compels us...He is there to push us, but we still have to obey. My favorite hymn says, Trust and obey, for there's NO OTHER WAY, to be happy in Jesus...

Gloria said...

The discipline of obedience...sounds so straightforward, but what a struggle it is to carry out it 100%. Certain areas I can say - yes, Lord I am obedient...in others...well, an annoying little thing called "the flesh" keeps getting in my way!

Josh said...

Your obedience is a result of your faith. If I told you the building was on fire and to get out, your reaction (whether you get out or not) would depend on your faith in me and what I said. We are blessed to have our faith from God. Without Him, we would never have a desire to obey.