Thursday, August 26, 2010

Finding a purpose

This summer I have sought to find a children's choir for Elise and Emmett.  And long story short I am starting a children's small group with an emphasis on singing that will meet at the church on Wednesday's night while the older two are in Youth Group.  As with any ministry I need a Bible verse to anchor my vision.  I wanted something personal to me.  While I was thinking of that this morning I was listening to Third Day's Medley of Turn Your Eyes upon Jesus.  This is the song I heard Cathron singing to Stephen many sleepless nights the summer I spent with them when he was 3 months old. This is the song I sung to my babies.  This is the song we sung at his funeral. 
April 1999 John-Thomas is in my lap and Stephen is beside me, Stewart is in front of him and Joshua is holding the leaf of tree they had been climbing. I carry this picture in my sermon notes journal.
I wondered this morning what Bible verse the song was based on and in my google search the cyberhymnal site popped up.  Hebrews 12:2 is the running banner across the top of the page. I don't know if that will be my theme verse but it was wonderful to read the verses that go with the refrain that has come to mean so much to me.

O soul, are you weary and troubled?
No light in the darkness you see?
There’s a light for a look at the Savior,
And life more abundant and free!
Refrain
Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace.
Through death into life everlasting
He passed, and we follow Him there;
Over us sin no more hath dominion—
For more than conquerors we are!
Refrain
His Word shall not fail you—He promised;
Believe Him, and all will be well:
Then go to a world that is dying,
His perfect salvation to tell!

2 comments:

sister sheri said...

Emily - I love how you are starting a small group with an emphasis on singing! That you were willing to be the solution! What a great idea!

What a beautiful song as you remember Stephen. What a beautiful family!

AllThingsHomey said...

I have sung that song so many times in the past 37 years..and never knew the verses.
What a comfort to know that Stephen doesn't have to 'turn' his eyes on Jesus because Jesus is there filling him with His all!!!