Wednesday, January 23, 2008

leftover resolution

Today I filled up a gallon size zip lock with yucky leftovers on the verge of growing a bacterial army. Waste not want not...or there are starving children in Africa.....how many times has that run through my head? Not to even mention that month after the hurricanes hit that I made sure we ate every last leftover because we didn't even have 25 cents for a soda. As part of my new years resolution I was going to try to eat every leftover. I guess I shouldn't have made 13 bean soup...the kids don't like it and Josh is doing great on low carbs. I should have sliced up the pie better so that there were either more than one slice or none. There must be an art to making just the right amount of food...or serving the right amount...I want to teach the kids not to be gluttons but I don't want to throw away food. The sermon this week touched on our societal consumerism....we have too much...especially in our fridge. At least there's not as much junk in the trunk since I've been jumproping almost everyday...one resolution at a time.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

We have gotten a lot better about eating leftovers. I used to throw away so much, but I just tried to convince myself that if I liked it the first time, I can like it the second, third, and sometimes, fourth.
That's not to say that somethings don't still go to waste, but I've tried to be more concious of our consumables.
One thing I'm guilty of is making more than we need for a meal. I always make enough for seconds for everyone.
The squirrel stew? It finally molded and got thrown away.....Eric at most of it, but I just couldn't bring myself. Maybe when Survivor selects me as a contestant.....but until then.....I'll stick with chicken and pork...
Boy, I'm longwinded today.

gideonmommasita said...

LOL, don't blame you there!

CroppinRobin said...

i was a good girl today and took leftovers to lunch. michael is the worst at this...he doesn't like leftovers, especially if he has to reheat it himself. maybe that is the real problem......