Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Happy Weight

For the past couple of weeks I have been consumed with the question, "What is the right weight for me?" I even almost asked a YMCA staffer today if there was some sort of guideline that she knew of that could tell me. I am just about the same weight as I was in High School and even though that is overweight by BMI scales it is where my weight naturally falls. So I'm walking on the treadmill, got my heart rate up to aerobic status and am flipping through the SELF magazine so generously provided by the Y, when what article do you think I stumbled upon? You guessed it....What's your Happy Weight? It was providential! There was a mathematical equation you could work out with different factors that would help you get a more reasonable expectation of what your weight should be.
Well, Einstein here couldn't do the math. Tonight I remembered to go online to find out my Happy Weight.
Momma ain't too happy right now.
Evidently SELF is in cahoots with the BMI people and they are all out to tell me that eating the Nacho chips I bought for my skinny son should not be consumed by me at all. And the overpriced (rip off even though they were bought half off the day after) Valentines Chocolates bought to share with my sons should never have passed over my lips. The little treats I afford myself because I am working out every day and eating sensibly are really not all that little and the madness has got to stop.
I am not Happy.
It did mention in the article that I should only aim for a 10% weigh loss over a year. That doesn't set the bar too high...still doesn't seem all that happy to me. Josh keeps saying sacrifice isn't fun...he should put it isn't all that happy either.

Is anyone unhappy enough to join me in the Self Challenge? Actually I'm not all that sure if it is a good "program"...seems like last year I looked into it and it was way too much advertisement. Time for someone to leave a funny comment so I can get off this Crappy Happy Weight soapbox.

6 comments:

CroppinRobin said...

the only self challenge i need is myself. i know the right things to do...i know that a whole bag of dark chocolate peanut m&m's over a few days is WRONG...but oops, the bag is gone as of yesterday. i have been trying to stay away from chocolate and sugar all together and then v-day showed up. i need to consistently challenge mySELF.
P.S. I'm happy, but would be over the moon if I was your size...it's all relative or subjective or the grass is greener or something.....

Tavia said...

Last year Glen and I were on the Weight Watchers kick and did really well. I was working out at the Y at least 5 times a week and was feeling great about myself. Then I hit an emotional mountain and it took every bit of self discipline and threw it out the door. I have tried to find that deep motivation again, but just haven't gotten there. I would love to be my weight in highschool, I hated it then but would love it now. You should put on your prom dress and dance around, that should make you happy - at least you can still fit into it. I'll pray for you if you pray for me in this area. I can use all the help I can get.

Gloria said...

I'm in a mood about my weight too! I went to weight watchers yesterday and earned another 5 pound star which means I made it to a 20 pound weight loss so far...but then what do I do?!?!? I have potato chips (reduced fat) and dark chocolate peanut m&m's (peanuts to help normalize the glucose spike from the chocolate)for dinner. I had planned for chicken breast and veggies...how frustrating! I want to be motivated but I'm just not. So I am sitting on the couch with my laptop while my husband is at the gym for the SECOND time today (he goes twice a day - once in the a.m. and once in the p.m. - there is just so much for him to do between swimming, elliptical, spin class, yoga.....you get the picture).

How do you flip the mental switch to get to the point where everything falls into place, you just "get" it and you do what you're supposed to do?

gideonmommasita said...

Everyone keeps talking about those blasted M&Ms...it was so hard to walk past them at Publix with the Buy One Get one. Think I'll not go to to Publix till this sale cycle is over.

CroppinRobin said...

repeat after me....
stay away from the dark chocolate m&m's....stay away from the dark chocolate m&m's....

Josh said...

About Em suggesting I'm saying sacrifice isn't fun: Sacrifice is better than fun, it is Joy. It's hard, somtimes painful, often inconvenient, but true sacrifice always results in Joy.