Saturday, May 10, 2008

Food and Faith: Mother's Day


I had two very different grandmothers. One almost never corrected me and the other I felt like I could do no good. I have been told by my uncle that those were just perceived feelings and his parents loved me and my sisters tremendously. The food served from each grandmother were also polar opposites.

My mother's mother always had a roll of homemade cookie dough to slice and bake for me whenever I came over. She also would make me eggs and bacon and pour a glass of milk for me when she first woke up...warm milk is not a good memory. However, my favorite thing to eat with her was Peter Pan extra crunchy peanut butter with homemade sweet pickles. The pickles were sliced very thick and were very crunchy and very sweet.

My father's mother always had fresh fruit on hand and raisin bran for breakfast. For dinner sometimes she would make creamed peas on toast with chopped egg on top. I think if I could go back to their kitchen with all of us crammed around that little table ( even though there was a large formal table on the other side of the pass through) it would be a treasure. I would thank them for all those summers they took us in so we could spend a few days out of the year with our dad. I would tell them I know how hard it must have been to have three bickering girls who didn't know how to sit still. I think I would ask them how they came to have faith in God and to thank them for always taking us to church during our visits. My mother's mother was also a Christian though she almost never went to church. Food and Faith, remembering my grandmothers and the heritage that continues.

I found this recipe at About.comCreamed Peas and Eggs

INGREDIENTS:

  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 3 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
  • 2 cups fresh or frozen green peas, cooked

PREPARATION:

Melt butter in heavy saucepan. Remove from heat. Add nonfat dry milk, flour, salt, and pepper. Stir until well mixed. Gradually add warm water. Stir until smooth. Cook until thick, stirring constantly. Add chopped eggs and peas.
Green pea recipe serves 4 to 6.

1 comment:

AllThingsHomey said...

I had never heard of creamed peas on toast with chopped eggs much less eaten them until I married your father. Both of your grandmothers were good cooks. One with good midwestern cooking, the other good southern cooking. And you are a good cook in your own right. Certainly better than your own mother. I am proud of you as a cook but mostly I am proud of the wonderful mother you are to four of my precious grandchildren. HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY.