Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Beauty from Ashes




My nephew Stephen wasn't the poster boy for a church boy...and neither were most of his friends. That may be why I prayed for him so earnestly between June when I went up for his graduation and Oct. 31 when he died. I prayed for him like I have never prayed for my own children.
Nov. 2 when I woke up, I started praying for Stephen like usual but then I remembered.

During the viewing and funeral my sister Cathron and her husband Dave told everyone who shook their hand and gave them a hug that it was only through trusting in Jesus that Stephen was in heaven now and encouraged all of the well wishers to do the same.
So now instead of praying for Stephen the list has mulitplied into praying for his friends.
Cory, who was with Stephen four wheeling when he died and had to make all the emergency calls.
Ryan, who lived across the street from where he died and did CPR with his father until the ambulance arrived.
Jake, who wasn't there but practically lived at my sister's house.

Brandon and Megan who got married the week before and Stephen had bought a brand new suit to wear to their wedding. They have a 5 month old baby girl.

And today I got an email forward from Cathron that she had received from Cory's girlfriend:

"The first Sunday I don't have to work I'd like to come to church with you all and find what Stephen found."

Can I get an Amen?


Isaiah 61:3 (New International Version)







3 and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the LORD
for the display of his splendor.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

It is God's will that none should perish. He will do what He can to accomplish His will. I'm sorry for the loss of your nephew, but glory to the mighty God we serve! He is holy, sovereign and worthy of all praise!!!

AllThingsHomey said...

..a very loud AMEN!!!

Gigi said...

AMEN!

CroppinRobin said...

AMEN, sister

sister sheri said...

Amen!

Amen!