Monday, April 5, 2010

Grace will lead me home

Today I went to my second funeral in 2010.
And like the first one, I had never met the man but I knew his son and was friends with his daughter-in-law.
Both were Catholic, and born in other countries.
I was sad for the families and sad for my family still mourning Stephen which naturally a funeral service brings up.
The priest said a prayer that seems to express a very unruly thing about deaths:

"Dispel the darkness and doubt that comes with grief."


Amazing Grace was playing on the radio after the service while waiting for the procession to the grave. Immediately I was back in my sister's excursion heavy leaden and wondering if Gloria was feeling the same way. It's a burden that does not shake easily.
I came home and took a nap.
Tonight I went out to the car to get my funeral service and saw my note from one of the readings, The Book of Wisdom, and looked it up on Google and found it right away.

The souls of the just are in the hand of God

and no torment shall touch them.

They seemed, in the view of the foolish, to be dead;

and their passing away was thought an affliction

and their going forth from us, utter destruction.

But they are in peace.

For if in the eyes of men, indeed they be punished,

yet is their hope full of immortality;

Chastised a little, they shall be greatly blessed,

because God tried them,

and found them worthy of himself.

As gold in the furnace, he proved them,

and as sacrificial offerings he took them to himself.

Those who trust in him shall understand truth,

and the faithful shall abide with him in love:

Because grace and mercy are with his holy ones,

and his care is with his elect.


I will be praying for the Perez family to know the joy that is theirs in Christ Jesus, even though at this time it seems like Joy has hidden her face and only sorrow has moved in.

1 comment:

sister sheri said...

Good words... especially when we feel the thorny prick of death. Praying that Joy will abound.