Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Prepared Hearts

It's Tuesday. Tonight is Beth Moore Bible study and I haven't written anymore on last week's notes.
v.15 And he said to Him, "If your presence will not go with me, do not bring us up from here.....
v17 And the Lord said to Moses, "This very thing that you have spoken I will do, for you have found favor in my sight, and I know you by name."
v21 And the Lord said, "Behold, there is a place by me where you stand on the rock, and while my glory passes by I will put you in a cleft of the rock, and I will cover you with my hand until I have passed by.  Then I will take away my hand, and you shall see my back but my face shall not be seen."

We cry out to God that we will not go without his prescence and He replies that he will be with us.
John 14:21 Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me.  And he who loves me will be loved by my Father , and I will love him and manifest myself to him.
Romans 8:9 You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you.  Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him.
It's an Old Testement idea and a New Testment echo.
Are you my friend cleft in rock right now, has God put his hand over your eyes so that you may be in His presence in perfect protection?  Or are you the other side of His passing in front of you and amazed by seeing the back side of His Glory. 
I think that I am somewhere in-between.

My notes on God's distinguishing presence is more sketchy than I'd like.
She refenced Exodos 3:11 where God tells Moses to go to Pharaoh and Moses says..."But who will go with me?"
v12 God replies "But I will be with you..."
Beth Moore was saying through this that we all have a "With" need...
Who is going with us? Are we filling our "with" need with people or with God?
Idolatry is what happens when we have a "With" need that we fill with people that was supposed to be for God.
Then she talked about our significance need. 
Moses had a need for significance, that he like us are desperate to stick out.
Exodus 33:16  "Is it not in your going with us, so that we are distinct...?"
We are desperate to stick out...If you want to stick out, she said, it is your presence with God that will distinguish you!
We think our flaws make us stick out...bad hair cut, not enough________, too much ___________, but really if we asking to see God's glory and filling our life with that need then that will be the thing that makes us stick out. Makes me think of the verse that says we are city set on a hill.
"You were never meant to blend in" she said.
We all want to be distinct but blend in at the same time don't we...well, at least I do...maybe I'm just a freak like that.
The notes from last week have made more of an impact on me than the daily workbook pages this week. 
I'm looking forward to tonight.
What are you looking forward to?

No comments: