Thursday, April 14, 2011

Elvis and Job


Several years ago, Josh's Aunt Mickey asked someone she knew to speak at her funeral, she may have asked her church friends as well.  None of us asked.
I don't know if Aunt Mickey always went to church or if she started going about 15 years ago.We don't know how she came to know the Lord.
I remember her telling me about how she always sat on the last pew at Winter Beach Southern Baptist.  When they got a new pastor he tried taking out her pew to get her to move forward.
Not too long after she started going there a lady named Janet started sitting with her and they would meet once or twice a week to pray together.  Pray for the family.  Janet knew all of our names even though she had never met us. Without choking up or tears she got up and told us about Aunt Mickey's faith and prayers.  Some of us she prayed for more than others....to which we all laughed.

All of us were a little uncomfortable with what the minister said.
Job 19:25-27 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:
And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:
Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another;"
We all agreed it was an odd passage to read at a funeral....
The minister explained what a redeemer was and who Aunt Mickey's redeemer was and then we listened to Elvis singing Amazing Grace.

We drove to the Winter Beach cemetery from Vero Beach where Josh, his brother, dad, 2cnd and third cousins actually carried the casket to the grave site.

The day of the viewing I was thinking rather sorrowfully about the last funeral I went to and the day after Aunt Mickey's funeral I thought about the ones to come.  Today has enough sorrow for itself I don't need to borrow from tomorrow. But I guess if I want Elvis played at my funeral I should let someone know.....that's a post for another day.

Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The Lord, the Lord, is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation. With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation.

Isaiah 12 : 2-3 

No comments: