Tuesday, April 26, 2011

servitude

Helen:  "Read the New Testament, and observe what Christ says, and how he acts; make his word your rule, and his conduct your example."

Jane: "A new servitude!  There is something in that," I soliloquised (mentally, be it understood;  I did not talk aloud).  "I know there is, because it does not sound too sweet; is it not like such words as Liberty, Excitement, Enjoyment: delightful sounds truly; but now more than sounds for me; and so hollow and fleeting that it is mere waste of time to listen to them.  But Servitude!  That must be a matter of fact.  Any one may serve: I have served here eight years; now all I want is to serve elsewhere.  Can I not get so much of my own will?  Is not the thing feasible?  Yes --yes--the end is not so difficult; if I had only a brain active enough to ferret out the means of attaining it."

"Reader I married him."

I love Jane Eyre.
At some point in my pursuit of an English Degree I am sure I read it.  When I read it this month though, only some of it was familiar. Some have said how depressing this book is but I found it so encouraging of Christian good triumphing self righteousness and evil and the bad hard things that anyone could encounter in this broken life we have been given because of the fall.
Today I ordered my own copy.  I'm sure I had my own at some time but in one of my desperate attempt to purge I must have decided that I didn't need it.  The copy I checked out from the library is The Modern Library Classics edition and in the back it has the chapter by chapter scriptural references and it also has book club discussion questions at the back.  To be honest though, the questions seem more like topics to write a college essay on instead of a discussion...maybe my discussions are too shallow, or my brain to mushy to be able to site verse and page of basis for my argument.
Today I have to return my copy to the library but on Thursday my own should come in the mail and I can write in it to my hearts content and then maybe I could formulate some answers to the questions.

No comments: