Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Promises

Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy. 1 Peter 1:8 

It's hard to know when to validate feelings.  

Yesterday while driving I heard the whole Focus on the Family broadcast "Hope in the midst of Infertility".    Specifically they were talking about miscarriages and validating the feelings of loss that come with losing an unborn baby. And while most of the program had tears in my eyes as I remembered my own miscarriages and then my sister's miscarriages their discussion on grief also hit home as it relates to Stephen.  People who have not experienced a loss through death can not understand what is like and often say things that are not helpful when all that is needed is for someone to come alongside.  One couple said it had been 8 years and they still weren't over it but no one wanted to hear about their grief anymore. Then one of the ladies said she just chooses not to go there and I don't remember the rest of her explanations.  I wish they would have stressed to keep focusing on God's truth in their life instead of their ongoing loss.
I might have forgotten about that teary eyed 20 minute drive out to my aunt's yesterday except for my verse of the day. 
Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy. 1 Peter 1:8
The promises of God has been the focus/lesson/ theme for this whole year of k-2 Sunday School lessons. When I read the verse this morning not feeling like I had inexpressible and glorious joy I wondered if this was a promise....this isn't a feeling this is a promise, is it true?  Well of course it's true because it's God's word and no matter what I think I feel like ...I am filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy.
This past Sunday as I displayed each of the promises we have gone over this year I knew there was a post waiting to be written but I didn't think it go this way. 

1 comment:

Gloria said...

Growing up my mom always said that in the midst of our struggles always remember "there is someone who has it harder." Infertility has it's own struggles but I've always felt that it is less pain not to ever conceive than to conceive and loose a baby. My heart goes out to those mommies.