Wednesday, August 22, 2012


4 weeks ago I went for my morning jog like usual.
My back was a little achy during the day.
That was the day I took the kids out to my aunt's and they jumped off the channel marker.
It was uncomfortable to lay in lounge chair when I was trying to get some sun.
The achiness in my lower back got worse.
The next morning I almost couldn't get out of bed.
I did not jog that day.
The next day was worse.
I took Josh's year old muscle relaxers and 4 ibuprofen every 6 hours.
It didn't get better.
I was in so much pain I had do something so I asked Josh to walk to the school and back.
Part of me wondered if I would just collapse at some point on the walk, but no it helped  and I was able to walk with more stability.
I walked the next morning and the next.
But for some reason I skipped a few days.
Then the nerve pain hit.
Sciatic nerve pain down my left leg and into my foot.
Not much sleep at night.
I used up all of one of his muscle relaxers and started on another one of his year old bottles and I made an appointment to see my Nurse Practioner.
Over the weekend I hoped I would get better and be able to cancel the appointment but my calf and part of my foot and three toes went numb, my calf balled up in a knot.
She gave me a round of oral steroids and Tylenol with codine.
I started walking again.
It took my breath away to put my shoes on.
The back pain had mostly gone away but the nerve pain woke me up a hour before it was time to take more pain med.
Had an MRI and went back for a followup.
It is only a bulging disk on a nerve.
I imagined I had Lou Gehrig disease, ms, had broken my back or had some other rare crazy disorder. WEBMD at 3 am is not a good idea, or maybe it is because I didn't have all the symptoms for the things I imagined I had.
Nope, nothing like that.
My ARNP gave me a prescription for something that is supposed to help with nerve pain.
The first couple of days it kinda worked better and there were no side effects.
This morning was the first day in 4 weeks that pain has not woken me up.
Side effects are starting to worsen though.
Mild dizziness...what I imagine taking recreational drugs might be like.
And I just want to rest my head somewhere.
Sunday morning I rested my head on Josh's shoulder in church and went to sleep...I never do that.  His shoulder had never felt more comfortable.
I asked John-Thomas to drive me home...I felt loopy.
It hits about 3 hours after I've taken it.
The house is a disaster and I should be picking up and all I want to do is lay down and sleep.
There are no kids at home, it is supposed to be my time to get this house in order after a year and half of neglect, but no.
I'm listening to Josh's pandora station and enjoying the mix.
Jeremy Camp singing Give me Jesus,
One republic singing Secrets
Phillip Phillips singing Home
Matt Maher singing Rise Up

Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it."

Isaiah 30 : 21

1 comment:

sister sheri said...

Oh, my! I hope you are feeling better!