Sunday, July 22, 2007

Old Mother Hubbard


We left yesterday morning to drive to Hendersonville, N.C. to celebrate my step-mother's 70th birthday. The whole affair was a surprise that my dad and Martha's best friend put together and Josh and I were pleased to be part of the festivities. After we had eaten there was a chance to get up and say a special memory we had with Martha or something nice which none of us were prepared to speak on. Not that we didn't have anything to say, we all had plenty to share but to get out coherently without tears was the challenge. Martha's daughters and grandchildren all said something and I felt it was only respectful to add my two cents in as well. Ironically one of the things that I said she has shown us was to hold our tongue...guess I didn't learn that lesson very well. But she has always been a good listener also and so my bumbling tear choked words were appreciated in the end. Martha has also been a good example in gardening. She is nothing like Old Mother Hubbard who had nothing in her cupboard, and couldn't provide for her dog. Martha has a beautiful house and a beautiful yard. Josh and I took some pictures of her nice flowers this morning before we went to the Fireside Pancake Inn for breakfast. So much for the weight loss last week. Susan invited me to walk tomorrow night and so I do believe that is a good course of action. She took care of the kids and animals for a short dash away from home in 4 years by ourselves. I didn't worry a bit which is good because of course they behaved marvelously (Elise only had 1 meltdown not counting the one at Susan's church this morning). My mom took the older two to the City Swim meet they qualified for yesterday morning. Mom said he came in 4th but Stewart said 6th so we'll see... We picked up the latest Harry Potter in Columbia, S.C. on our way up when we stoped to get gas and I have read 1/3 of the book out loud to Josh. I was glad I read was reading it with him because I had forgotten so much and he hadn't. Don't know if we'll be able to read out loud at home, we tend to fall asleep at home. I'm tired will be glad to have nothing to do tomorrow. No house to clean, no trip to plan for, no meals to make...guess I'll still have to do that because my cupboard is full not bare.

2 comments:

CroppinRobin said...

Wow, that was a quick trip. Glad you were able to go. Did you find something fun to wear to the party?

gideonmommasita said...

You're so good at remembering past conversations! Yes I did find a dress. Last night after my post I thought that I didn't mention the dress situation and it was such a blessing.