Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Rattling in my brain


This weekend I had a conversation with someone who said that while they were growing up they felt they born in the wrong time period.
While I was growing up I did too.
They didn't believe me until I told them I listened to Jones College from 6th grade to 12th. When I brought it up with my mom she reminded me that I loved Glen Miller. I also really enjoyed the mountain music we heard at camp each year. I loved prairie dolls and paper dolls....granted they were my mom's glamorous paper dolls.
All of this discussion got started because we were talking about not embracing the culture. How as Christians are we supposed to live apart of the culture? I don't think embracing a culture from a different time period is the solution.
In the world but not of the world? Where is that found?
1 John 2: 15 Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For everything in the world--the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does--comes not from the Father but from the world. 17 The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever."
In last week's Sunday School lesson I was supposed to teach the kids that nothing is more special than God.
Yesterday I rattled that around in my brain.
I tried saying my kids are not more special than God
My husband is not more special than God
That sugar cookie is not more special than God.
A new blazer is not more special than God.
I'm sure there is a connection between my thoughts on culture and the SS lesson.
If God is our love and desire, and we seek wisdom like the proverbs tell us then does it matter if our encouraging speech is using 2009 sentence structure instead of Shakespeare's?

1 comment:

AllThingsHomey said...

The more you love Jesus and grow in the knowledge of Himis word, the less the world appeals to you.