Sunday, April 3, 2011

Next

Last week I went to the UF/FSU baseball at the Jacksonville baseball grounds. 
Do I know anything about baseball...not much more than after you hit the ball and run all the bases you score.
Why do I like to go?
It's a place to talk for two and a half hours...with enough action to fill in the gaps.

Susan, "Are you going to be 38 this year?"
Me....groan,"No, 39....I will FORTY next year."
Susan,"Really?  I didn't know you were 4 years older than me, I thought you were going to be 38."
Me...groan, "No, 39."
Susan, "We should go on a cruise next year, where do you want to go?"
Much Seminole chopping later by me (not so much gator chomping by Susan or Tracy) we head home and as I get out of the car Josh asks how the game was?  I turn back and ask Susan to remind me what the score was? Oh, that's right 5-2 (Josh saw me typing and wanted me to included that little bit...he thinks I was rubbing it in but really I forgot...really.
A couple of nights later after too much caffine I checked into how much a cruise would cost a year from now?.....$279 for a 4 night. 
When my dad was paying for them I felt it was a extravagant but he would've spent the same money on summer camp for the boys so somehow we were able to justify it.

But now?

We're on the last two chapters of Crazy Love, Susan, and I.
The whole book challenges the reader to respond to God's love in the same manner in which it is given.
Chan writes, " I cannot say in this book, "Everyone is supposed to be a missionary"....What I can say is that you must learn to listen to obey God, expecially in a society where it's easy and expected to do what is most comfortable."
Am I doing what's most comfortable?
"Most of us use, "I'm waiting for God to reveal His calling on my life" as a means of avoiding action.  Did you hear God calling you to sit in from of the television yesterday?  Or go on your last vacation? Or exercise this morning?  ....we are quick to rationalize our entertainment and prioties yet are slow to commit to serving God."

Good thing Susan and Tracy are reading the same thing, we'll see if the reach the same conclusion.
"When he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth." -John16:13

1 comment:

sister sheri said...

Challenging book. I think you should go on the cruise. I've never been on one. Maybe a four day cruise would be someplace to start...